CONSTITUTION OF THE SHIPS ON STAMPS UNIT,
ARTICLE I - NAME
- The name of this organization shall be the "Ships on Stamps
Unit, ATA " (herein-after referred to as the "Unit" ).
- The Unit shall be an affiliated Study Unit of the American
Topical Association, Inc.
ARTICLE II - OBJECTIVES
The objectives of the Unit shall be:
- To promote the study of philatelic material pertaining to
watercraft on stamps, and material relating there to
- To share the knowledge of watercraft philatelic activity with
fellow Unit members
- To encourage the growth of the hobby of watercraft philately
- To support the goals and ideals of the preservation of our
ARTICLE III - MEMBERSHIP
- There shall be three (3) classes of membership in the Unit:
(1) Regular, Life, and (3) Honorary Life.
- There shall be no requirement for members of the Unit to
belong to any other philatelic organization as a prerequisite to
membership in the Unit or to elective office.
ARTICLE IV - ELECTED OFFICERS
- The elected officers of the Unit shall be: President,
Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, and three (3)
- All officers shall be elected for a term of four (4)
- No officer shall be elected to more than one office at the
- All members shall be eligible for elected office.
- An officer may serve any number of consecutive terms.
ARTICLE V - BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- The Board of Directors.shall consist of the President, the
immediate Past President, the Vice-President, the Secretary, the
Treasurer, and the three Directors.
- The Board of Directors shall be the general legislative body
of the Unit.
- The Unit President shall be the Chairman of the Board of
- It shall have the power to amend the Constitution or ByLaws of
the Unit as provided in the Bylaws.
- The Board of Directors shall have oversight over the
management of Unit finances and the publication of Watercraft
Philately or any other Unit publications
- It shall hold its meetings by mail or in open session on such
matters and at such times as its Chairman shall direct. A majority
vote of all members of the Board shall be necessary to pass any
resolution or take any action except otherwise provided in the
ARTICLE VI - DUES
Annual Regular and Life Member dues and fees shall be set
by the Board of Directors.
ARTICLE VII - OFFICIAL PUBLICATION
The official publication of the Unit shall be titled
ARTICLE VIII SPECIAL GROUPS
- Subject to the approval of the Board of Directors, local
chapters of the Unit may be authorized as provided in the
- Subject to the approval of the Board of,Directors, special
Study Groups Bylaws may be authorized as provided in the
ARTICLE 1 - DUTIES OF OFFICERS
- PRESIDENT - The President shall be the chief administration
officer of the Unit and shall preside at all Unit meetings. The
President shall: (1) be a member and Chairman of the Board of
Directors and an ex-officio member of all committees, (2) appoint
such Administrative Officials and committees as may be necessary,
and (3) execute all legal documents on behalf of the Unit, when so
authorized by the Board of Directors.
- VICE-PRESIDENT - The Vice-President shall perform the duties
of the President in his absence or inability to serve and perform
such additional duties as delegated to him by the President. In
the event the office of President is vacated the Vice-President
shall become acting President until the next regular election. The
Vice-President shall be a member of the Board of Directors.
- SECRETARY - The Secretary shall: (1) maintain the official
membership roll, (2). be responsible for new member enrollment,
(3) conduct correspondence on behalf of the Unit, and (4) perform
such additional duties as delegated to him by the President. The
Secretary shall be a member of the Board of Directors.
- TREASURER - The Treasurer shall: (1) receive and record all
monies of the Unit from dues, publications, and all other sources,
(2) disburse and record all monies in payment of Unit expenses,
(3) submit a Written financial statement to the Board of Directors
at the end of each fiscal year, and (4) be a member of the Board
- Upon the vacancy of any elective office, other than that of
the President, the Board of Directors shall appoint a successor to
serve until the next regular election.
ARTICLE 2 - APPOINTIVE OFFICERS
- The President may appoint such additional officers and
Committee Chairmen as may be necessary, except that the
appointment of the Editor of Watercraft Philately, or the
publisher of Watercraft Philately shall be with the advise and
consent of the Board of Directors.
- Appointive Officers shall serve for a term of four years, at
the pleasure of the President, and may be removed by the President
for cause, at any time.
ARTICLE 3 - ELECTIONS
- Elected Officers shall be elected by ballot every four years.
The initial election under this procedure shall be held in Fiscal
Year 1980 with newly elected officers taking office on 1 July
- The procedure for the election of officers, subject to
revision by the Board of Directors, shall be:
- The President shall appoint an Elections Officer by 1
September prior to the election.
- The election shall be announced and nominations therefor
solicited from the membership in the September-October (No. 2)
issue of Watercraft Philately.
- Nominations shall be sent to the Elections Officer to be
received by him not later than 10 December. The Elections
Officer shall obtain from each nominee his written acceptance
of his nomination.
- Nominations will be published in the January-February (No.
4).issue of Watercraft Philately.
- The Elections Officer shall prepare a ballot listing all
nominees for each office. The ballot, together with a return
envelope, shall be sent to members with the March-April (No. 5)
issue of Watercraft Philately. Completed.ballots shall be
returned to the Elections Officer to be received by him not
later than 10 June.
- The nominee,for each office receiving the highest number of
votes shall.be deemed elected, except for the office of
Director, in which case, the three nominees receiving the
highest number of votes shall be elected. Tie votes shall be
resolved by vote of the Board of Directors.
- The Elections Officer shall tabulate the vote and certify
the results to the Secretary. The results shall be announced at
the Annual Meeting at TOPEX, and published in the July-August
(No. 1) issue of Watercraft Philately. Newly elected officers
shall take office on 1 July.
ARTICLE 4 - MEMBERSHIP AND DUES
- The fiscal membership year of the Unit shall begin on 1 July,
subject to change by the Board of Directors.
- Dues shall be payable each year during the months of May and
June. Members whose dues have not been received by 1 July shall be
dropped from the.roll. Dropped members may be reinstated upon
receipt of their dues.
- Applicants for Regular Membership shall remit dues for at
least one full year, for which they shall receive all issues of
the current volume of Watercraft Philately. Membership of
applicants whose applications are received during May and June
will be entered on 1 July for the following year.
- Life Membership in the Unit shall be granted upon payment of
an amount equal to twenty (20) times the current annual dues.
Payment may be made in one sum or in six (6) consecutive monthly
- Honorary Life Membership may be conferred by the Board of
Directors upon any member for valuable service rendered to the
Unit by that member.
- The amount of the annual dues shall be determined.,by the
Board of Directors.
ARTICLE 5 - LOCAL CHAPTERS AND STUDY GROUPS
- Local Chapters. of the Unit may be formed, subject to the
approval of the Board of Directors, by the filing of a formal
petition signed by at least ten (10) members in any specific
geographical area. Each Chapter may determine locally its internal
governing rules, schedules of meetings, dues, activities, and
election on of officers, except that all such Chapters must
acknowledge their relation to the Unit in all local notices, press
releases, Chapter stationery, and in official correspondence.
- Special Study Groups of the Unit may be formed, subject to the
approval of the Board of Directors by the filing of at least five
(5) formal requests from members for the formation of each Group.
Each Group shall 'select a Chairman who shall coordinate Group
research, reports and writings. The Editor of Watercraft Philately
shall make space available in Watercraft Philately for publication
of Group reports, and news of activities. The Unit reserves the
right of first publication of Group,handbooks, monographs,
ARTICLE 6. MEETINGS
- The Annual Meeting of the Unit shall be held at TOPEX, the
annual meeting of the American Topical Association. Notice thereof
shall be published in the January-February issue of Watercraft
- Special.meetings of the Unit may be called by the President
with the approval of the Board of.Directors. Notice thereof shall
be published in Watercraft Philately not later than two (2) issues
prior of the date of the meeting.
ARTICLE 7 - OFFICIAL PUBLICATION
- Watercraft Philately shall be published at the expense of the
Unit and shall be distributed to all members
- The Editor of Watercraft Philately shall be appointed by the
President with the.advise and consent of the Board of
- The Publisher of Watercraft Philately shall be appointed by
the President with the advise and consent of the Board of
ARTICLE 8 - PROPERTY
- Title to all tangible property of the Unit remains vested in
the name of the Unit at all times, and each officer shall release
to his successor all that property in his possession at the
expiration of his term.
- The copyright of all publications published by the Unit shall
be in the name of the Ships on Stamps Unit, ATA.
- In the event of inactivation or dissolution of the Unit, all
assets remaining after all outstanding debts have been paid shall
be turned over to the American Topical Association to be held in
trust until the Unit can be reactivated, or in case of
dissolution, to be used by the Association as it sees fit.
ARTICLE 9 - OFFICIAL NOTICE
The publication of any official notice in Watercraft
Philately shall constitute official notification to all members of
ARTICLE 10 AMENDMENTS
- Proposed amendments to the Constitution or By-Laws may be
submitted by any member. Such proposals shall be published in
Watercraft Philately and members will have at least 120 days in
which to submit their views.on the proposed amendment prior to
consideration by the Board of Directors.
- The Board of Directors is empowered to amend the Constitution
by a unanimous vote, and the By-Laws by a two-thirds majority
- The membership shall be notified of amendments approved by the
Board of Directors by publication in Watercraft Philately.
Adopted unanimously by the Officers of the Unit, June, 1979,
authorized at the Unit meeting at TOPEX 79.
W. A. Coffey President
Stirling Cameron, Vice-President
Alfred Reese, Jr., Treasurer
Myron Molnau, Secretary